fbpx
  • Sell My Car
  • The latest motorsport news with Fast Friday

    Need your motorsport news fix? Welcome to Fast Friday!

    This is where Racing Edge discusses all the main news and talking points from the past week in motorsport.

    Keep up to date with the main motorsport news below.

    Lates F1 news – Formula 1

    Mercedes, F1 in stand-off over Concorde

    Toto Wolff

    Big news as Mercedes says it is not ready to sign Formula 1’s new Concorde Agreement.

    The agreement binds the 10 teams to the sport after 2020, when the current deal expires. McLaren and Ferrari have both publicly stated they would sign the deal. F1 has set a deadline of August 12 for the agreement to be signed.

    However, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff believes the team has not been treated fairly in comparison to others during negotiations.

    Wolff says Mercedes are the “biggest victims” when it comes to prize fund losses, while Ferrari and Red Bull still have an advantage.

    He also claims Mercedes has contributed to the sport over recent years and has the driver that “clearly has the most global appeal.” Wolff finished by saying Mercedes “didn’t feel ready” to sign the agreement.

    Formula 1 bosses responded with a statement claiming they would not be bullied and that all teams had been treated fairly.

    Racing Point fined, docked points

    Racing Point

    Racing Point has been fined $472,942 and docked 15 F1 championship points after the FIA upheld Renault’s protest over its brake ducts.

    Renault protested the controversial “pink Mercedes” car after the Styrian Grand Prix. It was claimed the brake ducts on the W10 car were the same design seen on Mercedes’ 2019 title-winning car.

    The FIA upheld the brake ducts were not legal. Racing Point claimed it had copied the design within the rules. They could now appeal the decision.

    The points deduction affects the Constructors’ standings only and not the drivers.

    Meanwhile, Nico Hulkenberg will replace Sergio Perez again this weekend after the Mexican tested positive for COVID-19 for a second time.

    Perez missed the British Grand Prix last weekend. Hulkenberg took his seat but did not actually get to race, after his car suffered a clutch issue in the garage and failed to start.

    Hulkenberg also revealed he was in talks to return to F1 full-time. In other news, rumours surfaced this week that Sebastian Vettel could join Racing Point next season after he leaves Ferrari.

    Bottas signs new Mercedes deal

    Valtteri Bottas news

    News this week that Valtteri Bottas has signed a new one-year deal to race for Mercedes.

    It is the fifth one-year contract Bottas has signed with the team.

    He will likely partner Lewis Hamilton for the world champions. Mercedes expects Hamilton to sign a new contract. The six-time world champion says it is not the right time to negotiate a contract, given how many people have lost jobs due to the pandemic.

    Bottas also admitted to ESPN he had been in talks with other teams on the grid, but the Mercedes deal was the best option.

    Magnussen on not taking a knee at Silverstone

    Formula 1 drivers

    Kevin Magnussen has explained why he did not take a knee ahead of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

    The Haas driver knelt ahead of the season’s opening race in Austria but opted to stand with six other drivers at Silverstone.

    Magnussen said: "l think in terms of standing or kneeling, I want to make sure that I'm with the messaging of ending racism. I support that movement, and not any sort of political organisation that I think the Black Lives Matter movement is.”

    In other F1 news, Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc issued an angry response on Twitter saying he is tired of being labelled a racist for choosing not to kneel.

    Leclerc said on Twitter:

    Latest NASCAR news

    Davis third NASCAR driver to test positive for COVID-19

    NASCAR news

    NASCAR Truck Series driver Spencer Davis confirmed this week news he had tested positive for Coronavirus.

    Davis is the third NASCAR driver to test positive for the virus, following Cup Series drivers’ Jimmie Johnson and Brendan Gaughan.

    Davis, 21, said his family-owned team will not race at this weekend’s event in Michigan. He will have to produce two negative tests 24 hours’ apart and be cleared by a doctor to return to action.

    Latest IndyCar news

    Indy 500 to run without fans

    IndyCar released news this week that no fans would attend this year's Indy 500.

    Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced the decision, citing the global pandemic and rise in Coronavirus cases in the state of Indiana.

    IMS was hoping to run the event with 25% capacity of fans on site. The race takes place on August 23.

    Latest Formula E news

    Da Costa dominates on Formula E return

    Antonio Felix da Costa

    Formula E returned for its six-race 2020 season finale in Berlin this week.

    Antonio Felix da Costa won the opening two races for DS Techeetah at the converted Tempelhof Airport circuit.

    The championship leader extended his lead over Nissan rival Sebastien Buemi to 68 points.

    Four races remain on various configurations of the Berlin circuit, with da Costa seemingly the man to beat.

    Formula E co-founder Agag tests positive for COVID-19

    Formula E co-founder and chairman Alejandro Agag revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 this week.

    Agag missed the series’ first race in Berlin as he was self-isolating at his hotel. He posted a photo of opening race winner Antonio Felix da Costa, confirming he had also missed the race.

    It follows Tuesday’s news that Mahindra Racing team principal Dilbagh Gill also tested positive for the virus.

    Latest European Le Mans Series news

    Barcelona loses ELMS race amid COVID-19 rise

    European Le Mans Series

    The European Le Mans Series announced news this week the 4 Hours of Barcelona will be moved amid the Coronavirus crisis.

    Barcelona and Catalunya have seen a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.

    However, ELMS has now moved the event to Le Castellet. The race will remain four hours in duration and takes place on the same weekend of August 29.

    CEO of ELMS Gerard Neveu said: “These are complicated and uncertain times which call for us to react to guarantee the safety for everyone who works in the ELMS paddock, which is our top priority. The current situation with regards to Covid-19 in Spain has logically led us to take this course of action. "

    "The level of risk in Catalunya is high enough to justify the restrictive return travel measures. The teams would not be able to apply those measures (such as quarantine) only a few weeks before the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Nobody enjoys these kinds of changes but once again the health situation to date is imposing on us some exceptional conditions.”

    Latest GT news

    World’s fastest gamer wins on British GT debut

    McLaren 720S GT3
    Photo courtesy of British GT Championship

    James Baldwin, winner of the ‘World’s Fastest Gamer’ tag in 2019, has won on his professional motor racing debut.

    Baldwin was racing in the opening round of the British GT Championship at Oulton Park last weekend.

    The drive came as part of his prize for winning the World’s Fastest Gamer competition in California. Baldwin was picked as the fastest esports racer by a panel including professional drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Rubens Barrichello.

    He now races for Jenson Team Rocket RJN, run by F1 world champion Jenson Button and RJN Motorsport. The team races the McLaren 720S GT3 in the British GT championship.

    Baldwin enjoyed a solid stint, before handing over to team-mate Michael O’Brien to bring victory home.

    Latest car news

    Gordon Murray Automotive reveals T.50 hypercar

    T.50 supercar

    Gordon Murray Automotive this week revealed its new T.50 hypercar.

    Murray, who designed the McLaren F1 in the 1990s, believes producing this British supercar will be his “proudest moment.”

    Only 100 of these 654 bhp monsters will be built.

    Check out more information on the Gordon Murray T.50.

    NEWSLETTER SIGNUP